Tar Heels rally to 3-2 win vs. VT

Christine Vaughen
Junior Christine Vaughen recorded 14 kills and three errors Thursday in North Carolina?s come-from-behind win against Virginia Tech.

The North Carolina volleyball team knocked off the ACC's No. 1 on Thursday to remain undefeated in the Smith Center this season.

The Tar Heels (9-7 3-2 ACC) fell 0-2 in their first two sets against Virginia Tech but rallied back to win three straight and take the match 21-25 19-25 25-21 25-16" 15-10.

""To come back 0-2 is just a big confidence-booster for us" coach Joe Sagula said. We had a couple of breaks" and anytime you start being aggressive good things are going to happen.""

Christine Vaughen" a junior hitter and preseason all-ACC selection" led the team in kills with 14 on 22 total attempts.

She said the team was able to stay in the game because every player came through during the long match.

""We have a lot of depth" and so many people came in played a role" Vaughen said. We're showing how strong and tough a team we are. ""

The Tar Heels' comeback took the match to a total 2 hours and 15 minutes.

UNC depended on sophomore hitter Suzanne Haydel throughout the game as she took more swings than any other hitter" finishing with 13 kills six in the fifth set on 53 swings.

Senior hitter Lauren Prussing came into Thursday's game leading the team with 109 kills. She didn't disappoint against the Hokies" finishing with 13 kills on 48 total attacks.

She said the long five-game set showed the determination of this year's team.

""First two sets" we weren't playing our game" Prussing said. It wasn't us out there.""

""Us winning in five games like we did just shows how hard we've been working on our mental game.""

She said handing Virginia Tech (14-3"" 5-1) its first conference loss of the season shows the team's potential for the rest of conference play.

""This is a turning point for us"" she said. Our goal is to win the ACC championship.""

After losing the first two sets" the Tar Heels began to block the ball well. They overpowered Virginia Tech 6-2 in the third set 7-2 in the fourth set and led in overall team blocks 17-10.

The Tar Heels are coming off two tough road losses in the conference last weekend against Duke and Wake Forest but they have remained perfect in the Smith Center" their new home this year.

Sagula said winning games at home is going to be important for all of the conference teams this season.

""It's shown itself to be important for every ACC team this year to play well at home"" Sagula said. Most of home teams have had the advantage.

""When we get on the road"" it's going to be different as we saw last weekend.""

The Tar Heels look to stay undefeated at home with another conference match at 7 p.m. today against Virginia.

The two teams split matches in 2007 with the last being a sweep at Carmichael Auditorium for the Tar Heels.

Virginia (10-7" 2-3) is coming into today's game on a two-match winning streak.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.