Breland shines in UNC rout

wohoops
Jessica Breland led the Tar Heels with 19 points Monday and missed only one shot ? what could have been the second dunk ever by a UNC woman.

The post again dominated the stat line from the onset for the North Carolina women's basketball team in its 102-68 demolition of Kennesaw State.

Jessica Breland paced the team with a game-high 19 points and 10 rebounds with just one missed shot — but what a glorious missed shot it was.

With six minutes remaining in the game Breland had a chance to make history. On a breakaway with no Lady Owls in sight Breland took a couple steadying dribbles and launched herself from two feet toward the basket attempting to become the second UNC women's player to dunk in a game.

It didn't quite work out.

The ball came out of her hand on the way up and rolled around the rim as she yanked it down falling off the edge into the hands of Italee Lucas" who in turn scored two of UNC's 25 second-chance points.

""I wish it was at the beginning of the game" I probably would have got it Breland said. I was a little tired. My legs were dead. … It's easier when you're catching it off an alley" 'cause you're basically just pushing it in.""

Established North Carolina starters Cetera DeGraffenreid" Rashanda McCants Iman McFarland and Lucas were on the bench to start the game after finishing poorly in the Tar Heels' last game" a 77-65 win against Virginia Commonwealth. But the new lineup didn't slow down the Tar Heels against Kennesaw State (1-1).

""Pretty much" it was more of a wake-up call Lucas said. We didn't do some things we should have done in the first game. Coming off the bench" that was good for us.""

Apparently it was. Lucas had a career-high 16 points and DeGraffenreid dished a personal-best 10 assists.

The Tar Heels (3-0) shot 53 percent on the game" but even when they did miss it usually wasn't the end of the possession — UNC recorded offensive rebounds on 20 of the team's 43 missed shots.

But UNC struggled to hold onto the ball for portions of the game" turning the ball over six times in the first four minutes and ending the game with 27.

""We had a lot that we shouldn't have had" coach Sylvia Hatchell said. We're going to have to look at some of those … But Kennesaw State" they were quick. They were athletic.""

She'la White" who started in place of DeGraffenreid never really got in sync. She shot just 1-of-6 and had only one assist to go along with two turnovers.

But she did well to walk off the court after the game at all. With 8:21 remaining in the first half White got a breakaway opportunity and went up for a contested lay-up.

Kennesaw State's Jennifer Baker wasn't about to let her score and she met White in the air and knocked her hard to the ground causing White's head to bounce hard off of the floor.

DeGraffenreid came in to shoot the free throws" but White re-entered three minutes later no worse for wear.

""She was fine. She said she didn't even feel her head"" Lucas said. She said her elbow hurt more than her head. She's a tough cookie.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.