First Amendment should not be used as a shield

After reading the letter to the editor titled Free speech tunnel allows just that" free expression" (Nov. 12), I am disheartened to find that some Americans still don't understand the First Amendment.

It's upsetting to hear people say insulting things, and then use free speech"" as a way to dodge the consequences of their actions. If you verbally offend your boss and he fires you"" are you going to take him to court for obstructing your First Amendment rights?

If a child utters a ""bad word"" and his mom punishes him by not letting him watch TV for a week" are his rights being violated? No.

Buck Burnette an athlete from the University of Texas learned this last week when he made racist remarks about Barack Obama and was consequently kicked off the football team.

That wasn't an obstruction of his First Amendment right as the government did not arrest him for his offensive language. But he did suffer the informal consequences of his actions.

The First Amendment doesn't protect you from your boss your mom your coach your friends or your school and it doesn't mean you won't pay for your words.

I implore all Americans to stop using the banner of free speech to promote a culture of immaturity and irresponsibility. It's time for people to be held accountable for what they say.

If you're brave enough to say something you'd better be brave enough to accept the consequence whether it's a dirty look a slap on the wrist or expulsion.

Arielle Reid
Sophomore
Political Science