Hate speech troubling: Racial slurs on free expression tunnel not acceptable

Racial slurs written on N.C. State University's free expression tunnel last week provided an unfortunate reminder of our dark past and have no place in our society as we look forward to the future.

Despite Tuesday night's celebratory atmosphere and the message of unity by the nation's first black president-elect students awoke to the painful reminder that hate that still exists in our country.

That morning racial slurs and death threats directed toward President-elect Obama were discovered on the walls of NCSU's free expression tunnel.

This incident comes after advertisements for a Ku Klux Klan rally were found in the tunnel earlier in the semester.

These messages contradicted the efforts of all who came together — black and white Republican and Democrat — to make history last Tuesday.

America took a giant leap forward as we left behind old stereotypes and prejudices and elected the nation's first African-American president.

Obama's election represented great progress for the civil rights movement and for many marked the start of healing not only from the past eight years of the Bush administration but from the racial divisions that have long tainted our history.

N.C. State's free expression tunnel offers a place for people to express their opinions and feelings and promote dialogue on a wide variety of topics.

But freedom of speech comes with great responsibility a responsibility that was breached last week.

Students and administrators at NCSU responded to calmly and productively with a protest that included speakers who voiced opposition to these inflammatory remarks and a discussion among students.

This incident reminds us that racist expressions and threats do nothing to promote dialogue but simply reopen wounds of the past and do not belong in today's America.