Due to a reporting error" this story incorrectly stated the number of partnerships Kidzu Children's Museum has with UNC entities. It has 16. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

Kidzu Children's Museum has crossed a line but in this case" that's a good thing.

The Chapel Hill-based Foundation for a Sustainable Community annually awards the title of Nonprofit Business of the Year to a local organization. This year it is Kidzu that best represents the foundation's ""triple bottom line"" principle:

""We measure an organization's commitment to sustainability based on the economic prosperity" social equity and responsibility and environmental protection" said Anne McKune, the foundation's associate director.

Organizations can choose to nominate themselves for the award, as Kidzu did, or can be nominated by a community member. Once nominated, Kidzu had to submit an application detailing how they meet the triple bottom line criteria.

They are a great example of this triple bottom line overlap because of their work in the social area" and their programs are leaning in the direction of environmental sustainability" McKune said.

Kidzu, located on East Franklin Street, offers interactive programs and displays for children and families. During its first two years of operation, Kidzu showcased traveling exhibits from other children's museums. The organization opened its first original hands-on program entitled KidZoom: The Power of Creativity!"" in July.

""Our new exhibit that opened in July is a great example of how people in the local community worked to fit the triple bottom line"" said Jonathan Mills, board president of chairman of Kidzu's board of directors.

The exhibit features local artists' attempts to promote environmentally sound and healthy values. The new program is intended to educate children on the process produce takes from the garden to the market, promote healthy food choices, teach building and community design and encourage children to be artistically creative.

With more than 100 community volunteers, the children's museum works with 68 UNC entities, including student interns, the UNC Department of Athletics, and many fraternities and sororities.

Volunteering is important because of what you give but also because of what you get" and this is all part of being part of the community" Mills said.

And to make the museum more accessible, highlighting the museum's emphasis on social responsibility, Kidzu will offer free admission every Sunday beginning in early 2009. A Durham Regional Hospital grant will fund these admission-free Sundays.

On these days, Kidzu will feature its Good to Grow"" program" in which different providers will teach caregivers about how children grow. The program includes events such as free dental screenings seat belt-check instructions and early reading courses.