Lend a hand: Volunteer opportunities for the holiday season

As the holidays approach  and many gather with family to celebrate and give thanks it's important to remember those less fortunate.

For those in the area during the holidays there are many opportunities to help brighten the holiday season of those in need.

Please take the time to choose one of these opportunities or find your own to help out this holiday season.

- The Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina

Taking donations in Durham at 708 Gilbert St. Contact Paul Sloane operations manager at 956-2513.

- The Volunteer Center of Durham

A compilation of volunteer opportunities in the Durham area" with numerous holiday-specific programs as well. Visit www.thevolunteercenter.org.

- Inter-Faith Council for Social Service

This institution has many different volunteer opportunities and is located in Chapel Hill. Visit www.ifcweb.org/volunteer.html or contact Donna Bradley at 967-0643.

- A Helping Hand

Located in Chapel Hill" A Helping Hand sends volunteers to elderly community members to assist with special needs and provide companionship. Visit www.ahelpinghandnc.org or call 969-7111.

- Chapel Hill-Carrboro Meals on Wheels

This program provides meals to those who cannot leave their homes. Call 942-2948.

- UNC Hospitals

Because the hospital isn't necessarily the brightest place to spend the holiday season volunteers can certainly help out — right here on campus. Call 966-4793.

- Ronald McDonald House

Volunteers are needed to prepare dinner for the families with children receiving medical treatment at hospitals in the area. Call 966-7651.