Look both ways: Town right to think about improving pedestrian safety but there's more to be done

The town's testing of a new pedestrian crossing system last week shows an impressive openness to innovation and a special sensitivity to safety on and near campus.

After several tragic accidents involving pedestrians in the past year it's good to see the town looking for innovative ways to address this problem.

While this new crossing scheme doesn't directly remedy the major cause of the accident in October (driver error) the town is still right to address the broader issue of pedestrian safety.

The new system at the intersection of South Columbia Street and Cameron Avenue allows pedestrians to cross in all directions — even diagonally — as all the lights are red for one cycle.

Town officials are interested in testing the system for potential expansion to other highly trafficked intersections in Chapel Hill.

The changes have been proposed as part of an effort made by town officials to remedy pedestrian safety issues.

In October a Chapel Hill Transit bus driver failed to yield at a crosswalk at the intersection of South Columbia Street and Mason Farm Road subsequently striking and killing a pedestrian.

There were also two pedestrian deaths this past May — one close to campus on the corner of Manning Drive and South Columbia Street.

The town should also consider other pedestrian safety measures like placing reflectors on crosswalks to help with visibility at night or having more concrete islands like on South Road on campus.

These measures would make pedestrians feel safer and help drivers remember to be on the lookout.

It is certainly beneficial for town officials to test to determine what changes might prevent driver errors.

While new crosswalk schemes are important pedestrian safety is still up to the good judgment of drivers and pedestrians themselves.