We're glad to see more student housing options in the downtown area.

The Stonecrop apartment complex being built off West Franklin Street will offer students another viable housing option close to campus.

Downtown Chapel Hill has seen considerable residential development in the last couple years but many of these are high-end condominiums that do not cater to students.

Because of the high costs of living in town and the lack of housing on campus more and more students are being forced to live farther away from campus.

There should be more affordable student housing options downtown.

The housing market has taken a serious hit in recent years but as a college town Chapel Hill benefits from a steady population of students that is constantly in need of housing.

Not only is there clear demand for student apartments in the downtown area but we also think a higher concentration of student residents downtown will ultimately benefit Chapel Hill.

While a number of affordable off-campus apartment complexes exist they are miles from Franklin Street and isolated from local businesses.

If more students lived downtown local businesses would ultimately benefit from the higher concentration of customers.

Also with the addition of more students downtown would become a more lively place.

As the town continues to oversee residential development in the downtown area it should keep in mind the needs of its student population.