Offensive line play key against in-state rival

Game and Time: N.C. State at North Carolina. Kickoff is at noon Saturday.

Site: Kenan Stadium.

TV/Radio: TV coverage will be on Raycom. Radio coverage will be provided by WCHL 1360 AM WRDU 106.1 FM.

Records: N.C. State is 4-6 and North Carolina is 7-3.

The Key Matchup: North Carolina's offensive line against N.C. State's defensive line.

The silent engine of the North Carolina attack has been the offensive line. Whenever it plays well the running game excels which opens up space for Hakeem Nicks to make plays through the air.

Prime examples of this occurred during the impressive performances of the line versus Connecticut and Georgia Tech.

Against Georgia Tech Shaun Draughn and Ryan Houston gouged the Yellow Jackets for 164 yards on the way to a convincing 28-7 win.

The next week the offensive line struggled to create holes and protect the quarterback. The Maryland defensive line stuffed the run and left North Carolina with little on offense aside from a few trick plays.

N.C. State's defensive line gets good pressure on quarterbacks. They amassed four sacks against Wake Forest last week including a game-sealing one on fourth down to stop a Wake Forest drive.

In back-to-back wins against Duke and Wake Forest the defensive line hurried the quarterbacks into throwing before they were ready.

When left on their own the N.C. State defensive backs have struggled to hold up in coverage. If the Tar Heels' offensive line can control the line of scrimmage there is a very good chance UNC and Nicks will put up some big numbers today.

On offense N.C. State does no specific thing particularly well but it does just enough to string together a few drives and score 20 points per game.

UNC's defense lives off forcing turnovers and with N.C. State sporting a redshirt freshman quarterback in Russell Wilson look for UNC to confuse Wilson into a few turnovers.

The secret weapon for the Wolfpack is their kick return unit. They have returned two kicks for touchdowns including one on a lateral play against Duke.

Compiled by Louie Horvath