Sexton Nicks look to repeat BC production

Game and Time: Georgia Tech at North Carolina. Kickoff is at noon Saturday.

Site: Kenan Stadium.

TV/Radio: TV coverage will be on Raycom. Radio coverage will be provided by WCHL 1360 AM WRDU 106.1 FM.

Records: Georgia Tech is 7-2 and North Carolina is 6-2.

The Key Matchup: North Carolina's passing game against Georgia Tech's defense.

Today's game between No. 19 North Carolina and No. 22 Georgia Tech will have huge implications on the ACC standings. It could be the difference between a trip to Tampa and a day in front of the television.

The matchup features two very different offensive philosophies. It's no secret that Georgia Tech likes to run the ball ­— its triple-option scheme has led to the best ground game in the ACC.

On the other side North Carolina has been more of a run-and-gun offense with wide receiver Hakeem Nicks lighting up opposing secondaries.

The UNC passing game is the most efficient in the conference while GT's pass defense ranks second. The edge in this matchup might produce the game's winner.

And that depends largely on which Tar Heel passing attack shows up. Against Virginia UNC struggled to protect quarterback Cam Sexton and consequently failed to advance the ball.

But versus Boston College the Sexton-Nicks connection was at its best and the Tar Heels put up 45 points.

The Yellow Jackets have pulled in 15 interceptions — second to only UNC — and given up just nine scores through the air. They've also generated pressure on opposing passers sacking the quarterback an ACC-high 26 times.

Look for GT to hurry Sexton in this one and record some drive-killing sacks. But Nicks has just been too good lately to be stopped and the Tar Heels are due for a better rushing effort after being kept in check the last few games.

Georgia Tech's ground game should move the ball and eat up some clock but the Tar Heels have had two weeks to prepare for the triple-option offense.

Expect a back-and-forth game but a rested North Carolina team should edge out the Yellow Jackets who are coming off an emotional win against Florida State.

The Bottom Line: North Carolina 27 Georgia Tech 24.

—Compiled by Mike Ehrlich