Volleyball

BLACKSBURG Va. — The North Carolina volleyball team extended its win streak to six Saturday night in Blacksburg Va. with a sweep of Virginia Tech (18-8 9-6 ACC) to improve to 17-9 overall and 11-4 in conference play.

The outside hitters stepped up for North Carolina as Lauren Prussing led the way with a match-high 12 kills while sophomore Suzanne Haydel added 11 of her own on a .303 hitting percentage.

The team had moved into a tie for first in the ACC on Friday night in Charlottesville Va. as the Tar Heels held on for a 3-2 win against the Cavaliers committing just five errors on the night.

Men's soccer

COLLEGE PARK Md. — For the second straight match No. 20 North Carolina took an early lead on a top-five opponent but could not hold on as No. 4 Maryland scored a 2-1 win against UNC on Friday in the regular season finale.

North Carolina drops to 11-6-1 and 3-5-0 in the ACC with the loss while the Terrapins took home their eighth straight victory.

All the scoring took place in the first half and UNC struck first on a Cameron Brown goal 20 minutes before halftime. Maryland followed with scores from Drew Yates and Graham Zusi in the next 11 minutes to claim a lead it would not relinquish.

Just as they did last week against top-ranked Wake Forest the Tar Heels took control early against the Terps firing the first five shots of the match.

Freshman Billy Schuler assisted on Brown's goal which was his third of the season and his second in as many games.

UNC begins the ACC Tournament on Wednesday in Cary.

Women's tennis

Austin Smith a senior finished fourth overall at the Kitty Harrison Invitational in Chapel Hill sprained ankle and all.

Smith lost her first match of the weekend against Georgia Tech in a close tiebreaker but never looked back coach Brian Kalbas said Sunday.

The Tar Heels without their top doubles team of Sanaz Marand and Sophie Grabinski who were at ITA Nationals had a successful tournament losing their first match then taking the next four matchups.

Visit Sports News at www.dailytarheel.com for more.

Cross country

CARY — Five Tar Heel runners competed at the Wolfpack Invite in Cary N.C. on Saturday and UNC's entire starting team came out to support them.

Matthew Kiplagat led the contingent with a 13th place finish in the 5K race in a time of 16:01.

Andrew Rotz finished just four spots behind Kiplagat as he crossed the line in 16:16 for 17th place.

Junior Adam Smith placed 27th in the event with a time of 16:55 before Nick Krouse closed out the Tar Heel contingent with a 42nd overall finish in a time of 18:32.

UNC's starters head to Clemmons this month for the NCAA regional.