Tar Heels open up competition for QB spot

QBs
Cameron Sexton (left) and T.J. Yates will compete for the starting quarterback position for Saturday?s game.

While North Carolina quarterback Cameron Sexton was succeeding it was easy to forget that he was third on the UNC depth chart earlier this year.

With superstar T.J. Yates injured Tar Heel fans embraced Sexton as the underdog of the year.

Now" two days after what Sexton called ""the worst game I've played all year" a healthy Yates is back in the rotation.

Coach Butch Davis said Monday that he will not name a starting quarterback for Saturday's N.C. State game until both have had a chance to compete for the spot this week.

The approach is that we are not gonna name a starter as to this Saturday he said.

That I'm going to meet with both of the quarterbacks this afternoon as is (offensive coordinator) John Shoop" and we're going to sit down and talk to them.

""And say" OK look" you both need to be prepared. And we'll try to make a decision at some point later in the week.""

Since Sexton became UNC's go-to guy during Sept. 27's Miami game" the QB has thrown nine touchdowns and four interceptions averaging more than 175 yards a game.

But Sexton struggled on Saturday going only 10-for-24 for 166 yards with one touchdown — tipped by a defender first — and one interception" plus a lost fumble.

""I never got into a rhythm" Sexton said after the game. I just" I was off. I don't know how to explain it. It just wasn't my day today.""

But this decision isn't made solely on Sexton's performance Saturday"" Davis said.

""It's no disrespect to Cam. Cam's done an outstanding job" for the most part. He's come in we've won games with him" he's performed well.""

But so did Yates" for 12 games last year and the first three this season.

After talking about the offense with his staff for four or five hours Sunday Davis said they chose to open up the competition.

Wide receiver Cooter Arnold who caught his first touchdown pass Saturday on Sexton's tipped throw" said Yates has looked sharp in practices the past few weeks but that he hasn't played as much as Sexton.

""Well" he hasn't been practicing too too much but whenever he's been in there it's just like before he left. He's doing good" he said.

Yates now has been practicing for two full weeks, Davis said, though Sexton still has been getting about 70 percent of the throws.

This week that number will even off.

That's one of the things that we've been trying to evaluate as T.J. came back" was at what point he would be in a position to somewhat compete Davis said.

So we're going to watch them both practice we're going to put them into situations" and see how the week unfolds before we try to decide who might be the quarterback.""

Before his injury" Yates was leading the ACC in pass efficiency and was third in yards per game and total offense. In his three games he picked up six touchdowns and only one pick on 651 yards.

Fullback Bobby Rome knows either QB would get the job done — the competition is actually a good thing" he said.

""I mean" I think it's a great problem to have to have two starting quarterbacks that either one can go in" and the team's gonna back either one 100 percent.""

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@unc.edu.