Last season one word characterized the North Carolina field hockey team: Dominance.

This year one word can't do it. It takes 23 — one for each member of the team.

Soon after the squad lost its third game of the season — and its best player Danielle Forword to a torn ACL — on Oct. 10 team leaders called a players-only meeting.

They wanted to unite the team behind a single idea. A single word. One that could motivate everyone both on and off the field to work toward defending their 2007 NCAA championship — a task they begin tomorrow in East Lansing Mich.

But after struggling to decide on one" they realized something important. They're different people who are motivated in different ways.

""We couldn't think of one word" so we went around the room and everybody said a word" junior back Melanie Brill said.

Ever since we've had that word on our stick and on our locker. And it's just a daily reminder that we're in this together.""

And teammates don't let others forget why they're playing.

In field hockey" a sport in which communication on the field is vital instructions are yelled throughout the whole game" sometimes audible even over screaming fans.

""Behind you!""

""Left! Left!""

""Look out"" 12! Look out!""

But at Henry Stadium and every field the team has visited since that mid-October afternoon" different cries have become commonplace.

When anyone makes a mistake or appears to be looking down on herself teammates use her word to remind her that she is not alone.

This weekend the Tar Heels take those words plus 20 more" and their commitment to the team to East Lansing for the first and second rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

And No. 7 UNC (14-5) has a steep hill to climb if the team intends on defending its title run of last season. Just don't tell the players that.

""I'm really excited about it. I think we have a really good shot at doing really well"" senior Kate Scholl said. We just have to go out there and play our best.""

Though they are officially the home team for their first-round matchup" it might not seem that way for UNC who squares off against host-team Michigan State.

While the Tar Heels will be wearing their home uniforms green and white will be in abundance in the stands at the Spartans' home turf.

The two teams last met in 2003 when the Tar Heels cruised to a 3-0 victory. This year the Spartans (16-5) are ranked No. 10 in the nation.

It doesn't get any easier from there for the Tar Heels.

If they get past the Spartans the team UNC will likely face in its second-round game is the Iowa Hawkeyes" who handed the Tar Heels their first loss this season — and that with Forword in the lineup.

But the Tar Heels don't seem worried about the tough opponent.

""It's good to play people that you fell to" like when we played Wake Forest again (in the regular season). It's always fun to have a rematch game" Scholl said.

And I think it's going to be a good game if we get to them.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.