Yates struggles in return to action

YatesNov24
Quarterback T.J. Yates started after sitting out six weeks with an fractured ankle but couldn?t get into a rhythm against N.C. State" completing 10 of 22 passes.

Saturday's game against N.C. State was supposed to provide a resolution at quarterback for North Carolina.

With sophomore signal caller T.J. Yates starting again the Tar Heels looked poised to reclaim the offensive prowess it lost last week in an ugly defeat at Maryland. But instead of answers UNC's quarterback situation just got more questions.

In his first start since UNC's third game this season Yates looked uncomfortable in the pocket and connected on fewer than half of his 22 pass attempts. Coach Butch Davis benched Yates in favor of Cameron Sexton midway through the fourth quarter.

But Sexton did little to separate himself from Yates during his brief stint on the field. The junior finished the game 4-for-6 with two interceptions.

North Carolina's once-promising passing attack has devolved into a quagmire heading into the season's final regulars season game at Duke.

After the game Davis addressed the play of his two quarterbacks" leaving the door open for another week of speculation about who will be his starter.

""As I've told the quarterbacks" you are always going to be the victim of how you have played Davis said. And in light of the fact that somebody's going to eventually ask this question" ‘What does that mean for next week?' And the answer to the question for next week is that the quarterback that gives us the best chance to win that game.""

Saturday against the Wolfpack" Yates didn't inspire people to believe he again was going to be that guy.

His first pass of the game sailed over the head of receiver Cooter Arnold and later attempts skipped well in front of Hakeem Nicks and Brooks Foster. If there was any indication that the Yates who played against N.C. State didn't resemble the earlier version it was on the few instances when he looked downfield.

On those attempts Yates' passes didn't have his usual zip. The extra time allowed defenders to recover and turn would-be first downs into incompletions.

In all Yates finished 10-for-22 with 116 yards and one interception. After the game" a dejected Yates attributed some of his struggles to his injury-induced layoff.

""I hadn't been out there in about a month or so"" he said. I definitely felt out of sync.""

Yates' poor performance reached its end on UNC's final possession in the third quarter. On that drive Yates was 2-for-4 and was booed after a pass bounced near Nicks' feet.

""I wasn't surprised the way I was playing"" Yates said.

Sexton, who watched all of that transpire, did his best to remain supportive after losing his job to Yates.

I'm just trying to rally and just trying be supportive of him"" Sexton said of his sideline attitude. Just trying to rally the team. It's just hard to see your teammates not play well.""

Sexton insisted he wasn't upset about Yates starting"" and that he has ""no idea"" if the job again will be up for grabs.

But if Davis' postgame demeanor is any indication"" the position will be re-evaluated once the coaching staff reviews film.

""Every game for a football team is predicated on you wanting to win the game that's at hand — it's the only one that really matters"" Davis said. And that's how we will look at it this week.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.