Bittersweet ending for Nicks

nicks
Hakeem Nicks" junior wideout will have to shoulder an even heavier offensive load this weekend against Virgina. ?He?s been the one really solid consistent week-in and week-out player? coach Butch Davis said. ?You can always count on Hakeem to deliver this kind of performance.?

6:30 P.M." SATURDAY DEC. 27 CHARLOTTE – During Saturday's postgame press conference" Hakeem Nicks was asked if even he was surprised by one of the ""SportsCenter catches"" he made in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Maybe the reporter was thinking of Nicks' first touchdown pass" a 73-yard bomb from T.J. Yates he thrust into the end zone with one hand dragging a Mountaineer defender along with him.

Or it could have been the 66-yard TD catch-and-run Nicks pummeled through from a pass from fellow receiver Cooter Arnold ending the run with a few broken tackles using that signature stiff arm.

Of course that's ignoring Nicks' simply unbelievable behind-the-back one-handed catch on a third down in the third quarter.

So Hakeem were you surprised by the nature of any of those catches?

Coach Butch Davis raised his eyebrows and looked down at Nicks before the Charlotte native answered" grinning.

""No" it didn't really surprise me" he said. Because I make a lot of catches like that throughout the week in practice. It was more of me just being an athlete and being determined to catch the ball when it comes my way.""

Nicks' determination was evident Saturday – and his talent moreso. And those spectacular catches were only three of the eight he made all day"" setting five UNC records on the way. That included marks for career receiving touchdowns (21) and receptions (178) set by Nicks – as a junior.

""I just wanted to contribute to the offense the best way possible" Nicks said. When they called my name I just wanted to make plays" in front of my home crowd.""

And make plays he did"" though he'd be the last to tell you. Nicks repeatedly credited the ""team effort"" and the plays his teammates made – something that didn't go unnoticed by his coach.

""You talk about love – I don't know if there's been very many players that I've been around that I respect as much as Hakeem" Davis said. You want to talk about humility and being humble – to be as big as a star as he is" and with all of the great performances that he has over the past three years?""

Saturday's was the greatest of all" if the numbers are any indication. Nicks had a career-high receiving total and ended the first half with more yards than the West Virginia receiving corps combined.

During the second half Nicks caught only three more passes for 30 more yards" ending with 211 – only the third player in UNC history to record 200 receiving yards in a game.

West Virginia coach Bill Stewart said he told the defensive coaches at halftime to encourage double coverage or plays over the top of receivers to stop the seemingly unstoppable Nicks.

""We tried to bring a little bit more pressure in a different way" he said. I said ‘My God" we have no one that can cover him. Nobody.'""

But all Nicks needed to set three new North Carolina records was what Davis called a ""monster"" first half. Nicks had said his main goal this season was to become the first UNC player to record 1"000 yards in a season – he ends with 1222 plus 13 other UNC record book No. 1s.

Now the question remains whether he will return to add to his career total already the highest in UNC history by 387 yards.

Nicks will assess his draft stock in the off-season and decide whether he will go pro this summer" and 15 NFL scouting representatives were on hand Saturday to see just what Nicks can do.

""I'll start considering my future after I talk to this man right here"" he said, patting Davis on the back and grinning. When we get back in town. And he'll play a big role in it.""

But quarterback T.J. Yates" for one" hopes Nicks stays.

""It's not going to be as good (if he goes pro)" he said. But you trust his decision and whatever he does" I'll support him 100 percent.""

So will Davis"" his coach said after the game.

""If he does decide to go out" I want to be his agent" Davis said, laughing. But whatever he decides to do"" I got his back. Butch Davis is a Hakeem Nicks fan for the rest of my life.""