For Carolina Union President Tom Allin" hosting a one-time Ben Folds Five reunion isn't what made 2008 successful.

It was finger-painting in the Pit.

""We put butcher paper out on the floor of the Pit" he said. People just started showing up and making art together in that early childhood" finger-painting kind of way.""

Allin admitted hosting Ben Folds Five was exciting but said 2008 was a success because CUAB was able to unite the UNC community through a diversity of music" film and art.

Total attendance at the nearly 200 events in 2008 was 48484.

Of all 194 events 76 percent had fewer than 250 students participating. However" it was those tight-knit events that comprised 29 percent of the year's total attendance.

""It's a sign of people being comfortable with one another"" Allin said. I feel like the board has done a wonderful job of graphing programs that appeal to a wide variety of students.""

A Zumba session in Gerrard Hall"" a speech by ""Dark Knight"" producer Michael Uslan" The Cool Kids' performance — Allin said it all helped fulfill CUAB's goal of connecting students.

Allin CUAB's music chairman last year said he previously focused on performances" but came to the realization this semester that programs like pumpkin carving and fortune telling should have his attention.

""I feel oftentimes the heart of CUAB lies in the little programs"" he said. ""A lot of the programs that didn't get any press I feel were really some of the best.""

CUAB music Chairwoman Adele Ricciardi said 2008 didn't start out as intended because of a lack of diversity in musical acts and program.

But things were different in the fall when CUAB hosted experimental groups like Ted Leo next to popular acts like The Avett Brothers and Andrew Bird.

""I think we've had a lot more luck with booking"" Ricciardi said. We've also had a clearer focus and clearer goals coming in to this semester.""

Ricciardi said the group will still look to improve" as they make a conscious effort to book female performers in 2009 and host international music acts.

Music continues to draw CUAB's largest attendance numbers but Allin said he said he hopes people will remember the 2008 events that united the UNC community" rather than simply those with large attendance numbers.

""I hope some students leave thinking" ‘That was the year we were finger-painting in the Pit""" Allin said.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.