Driver policy too lenient: Chapel Hill Transit should have stricter incident and discipline policies

The accident record of the bus driver responsible for the death of a UNC Health Care employee on Oct. 27 raises serious concerns about the town's vetting process of bus drivers for safety.

Chapel Hill Transit driver James Willie Orr was involved in 10 accidents between 2001 and 2008 — eight of which took place while driving a Chapel Hill Transit bus. Two accidents occurred in a personal automobile.

Chapel Hill Transit policy states that a driver can be recommended for termination after recording three ""preventable"" accidents in a rolling calendar year.

While Orr didn't meet this criteria" he did have a long history of incidents.

Chapel Hill Transit — or the town which can supersede Chapel Hill Transit policy — should have more closely reviewed Orr's record.

It's unclear if Orr was ever disciplined by Chapel Hill Transit but the incident reports obtained by The Daily Tar Heel indicate grounds for such action.

The town's concern for pedestrian safety has been illustrated through its efforts to test innovative approaches at the crosswalk at the intersection of South Columbia Street and Cameron Avenue.

While this is an appropriate action to alleviate safety concerns" it does not address the main cause of Valerie Hughes' death — driver error.

Hughes was crossing at the intersection of Mason Farm Road and South Columbia Street while a ""walk"" signal was shown" and the bus driven by Orr failed to yield.

Because this accident can be chiefly attributed to that failure to yield it is important for town officials to be vigilant in the future when determining which drivers could be at risk for future traffic accidents.

Of the 10 accidents reported involving Orr several included rear-ending stopped traffic and hitting parked vehicles as well as sideswiping a utility pole.

Eight automobile accidents in seven years certainly should raise some eyebrows.

This issue should be revisited not in order to further incriminate Orr but to rethink the town's response to drivers who have a history of traffic incidents.