It's never easy being No. 1. Just ask the 2008 North Carolina field hockey team.

Coming off an undefeated national championship 2007 season and being tabbed as the nation's best in the preseason the team learned how hard it is to be at the top.

The Tar Heels lost two of their first three matches but more importantly" dropped their first-round contests in both the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

""I think we had a good season with some good wins and some really positive things" senior Britt van Beek said. But it's still disappointing to lose in NCAAs" especially since I feel like we should have won that game.""

From the beginning" the season rarely felt like one that would lead to the successes the Tar Heels were expected to reach.

And though North Carolina finished the season ranked No. 7 it didn't reach its early expectations.

After her team's first loss in just its second game a 3-2 contest against Iowa on Aug. 31" UNC coach Karen Shelton said her team wasn't ""as good as they thought they were.""

If that defeat wasn't enough to prove that sentiment to Shelton's players" another loss a week later — this one to in-state rival Wake Forest — did the trick.

The Tar Heels ran off seven straight wins before hosting Wake Forest for the rematch.

This time UNC ended up on the right end taking a 4-3 decision against the Demon Deacons.

But just when it seemed everything was falling into place for the Tar Heels fate reared its ugly head.

In UNC's very next game after the emotional rematch with WFU star junior forward Danielle Forword went down with an injury that ended her season tearing her ACL in the first half at Boston College a match the Tar Heels lost 2-0.

Several players — notably van Beek Kate Scholl and junior Illse Davids — stepped up to fill the void left by Forword" but the Tar Heels were never really the same.

""Obviously injuries are part of the game. And it was unfortunate that we lost our top goal scorer" Shelton said Tuesday. I still think we had the ability and the talent to overcome the loss of a player that strong" but again it didn't happen when we needed it to.""

Even though she played in just 12 games" eight fewer than most of her teammates Forword finished the season with five more goals (16) than her nearest comrade (van Beek).

And while the team lacked the bounty of seniors from the 2007 squad" van Beek and Scholl will be missed next season. And the feelings are mutual.

""I wish I could still be a part of it"" van Beek said. Because I think they're going to be a great team.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.