Hakeem Nicks declares for NFL Draft

nicksdown
Junior wideout Hakeem Nicks reaches for the end zone in his first of three touchdowns of UNC?s bowl game. Nicks ended with 211 yards.

Hakeem Nicks spent three years living his dream in Chapel Hill.

What's left but to continue The Dream in the National Football League?

After a record-setting season and jaw-dropping performance in North Carolina's Meineke Car Care Bowl loss" it took Nicks only nine days to announce he would forgo his senior year of eligibility and declare for the NFL Draft.

""After the bowl game" just based off that I felt like I was ready for a new challenge in my life" Nicks said. I felt like it was another challenge for me that I was ready to step up to.""

Though Nicks won't return for the 2009 spring semester" he still plans to graduate.

Nicks said he expects to be picked on the first day of the draft which consists of the first two rounds.

And that prediction isn't without merit. UNC coach Butch Davis who coached in the NFL for eight years" made several inquiries to coaches in the league and also submitted the pre-draft paperwork to the league's advisory committee.

""The role that I tried to play was to help educate Hakeem on the many aspects of this decision"" Davis said — that included money, agents and education.

Most everybody feels pretty confident that he's going to have a chance to be a first-day selection.""

Considering the show Nicks put on for the 15 NFL scouts who attended UNC's bowl game" that is. The Charlotte native had three touchdowns and 181 yards — in the first half. He even won ESPN's top play of bowl season for the behind-the-back" one-handed catch he made on a third down in the second half.

""I just wanted to contribute to the offense the best way possible" Nicks said. When they called my name" I just wanted to make plays in front of my home crowd.""

And make plays he did though he'd be the last to tell you. Nicks repeatedly credited the ""team effort"" and the plays his teammates made — something that didn't go unnoticed by his coach.

""You talk about love — I don't know if there's been very many players that I've been around that I respect as much as Hakeem" Davis said.

You want to talk about humility" and being humble — to be as big as a star as he is and with all of the great performances that he has over the past three years?""

The Meineke Car Care Bowl was Nicks' greatest performance. He set personal highs in receiving yards and touchdowns in the first half and finished with two UNC bowl records.

West Virginia coach Bill Stewart said he told the defensive coaches at halftime to encourage double coverage or plays over the top to contain the seemingly unstoppable Nicks.

""We tried to bring a little bit more pressure in a different way" he said. I said ‘My God" we have no one that can cover him. Nobody.'""

As a matter of fact" Nicks ends his UNC career with 14 school records including marks for career receiving touchdowns (21) and receptions (181). And he did it in only three years.

Nicks became UNC's first-ever 1000-yard receiver — he finished 2008 with 1222. He sits No. 1 in career receiving yards — with 387 yards to spare.

And now UNC has to find his replacement. Nicks' departure means the Tar Heels' receiving corps is almost completely depleted with seniors Brandon Tate" Brooks Foster and Cooter Arnold all graduating.

""It's not going to be as good" quarterback T.J. Yates said after the bowl game when asked about the effect of Nicks' departure on the receiving game.

But you trust his decision and whatever he does" I'll support him 100 percent.""

While Nicks plays on Sundays"" he'll still be cheering for UNC on Saturdays.

""I love Carolina"" he said. I'll always be a Tar Heel. I'll always root for them in the future.

""I felt this was just another challenge for me to step up to.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.