The new semester begins at a historic trying time

Hey Tar Heels! Welcome back! I hope everyone had a fantastic break. It is so great to see the campus bustling with life. We all have a lot to look forward to this semester from the first day of spring on the quad to better basketball games to come. Those of us who are seniors know how quickly each semester flies by and I suspect this one will not be an exception. So get ready — here it comes!

This semester will bring lots of changes — both at Carolina and around the world. The world economy is undergoing a fundamental realignment. At times like these I like to think of my great-grandmother who in her 90 years witnessed the Great Depression the advent of flight two World Wars and the triumph of the Civil Rights movement. I wonder if she recognized those changes" if she knew that her generation's grace in the face of upheaval would make it the ""greatest generation.""

Then" I wonder what will be said of our generation. In just a few more days we will witness the inauguration of a new White House a White House many of you helped bring into office. The amount of creativity and dedication students around the country demonstrated throughout the political season on both sides proved that our generation is capable of great things.

Carolina I believe can be an incubator of that greatness. Students at Carolina are unique for their commitment to service and their passion for making the world a better place. I am looking forward to what we will do both next semester and in the years to come.

Welcome back to the Carolina family!

J.J. Raynor

Student Body President