A despicable defacement: Painting in blue on Kay Yow's image was reprehensible

(Painting in blue on Kay Yow's image was reprehensible and should not taint universities' relationship)

The defacement of an image of Kay Yow on the N.C. State University's Free Expression Tunnel is no doubt a despicable act.

The former N.C. State women's basketball head coach was honored on the tunnel after losing her fight to breast cancer Jan. 24.

Someone painted a mustache and wrote ""cancer rules"" on the portrait in blue writing the night after a basketball game between rivals.

This act clearly lacks sensitivity and compassion — values represented by both NCSU and UNC-Chapel Hill campus communities.

UNC shouldn't stand for such shameful and hateful acts.

Both communities cannot allow such actions so reprehensible to undermine the inherent bond between our schools. Our long-standing relationship is one marked by friendship and healthy competition.

We can't let this mar the celebration of Yow's life and achievements. Off the basketball court" she raised awareness and funds for breast cancer research in addition to coaching and mentoring generations of girls and women.

Several women's basketball teams across the country — including UNC-CH— have worn pink warm-ups or uniforms in the past week in tribute to Yow. Her work and passing had a tremendous impact on many communities.

The Free Expression Tunnel should be a place for discussion and a celebration of expression not for hate speech and intentionally offensive displays.

This most recent act follows a November incident in which threatening racist graffiti directed at then President-elect Barack Obama appeared and the secret service was called to investigate.

N.C. State's Student Senate President Pro Tem Kelli Rogers says that when these hateful messages appear on the tunnel students take it upon themselves to reclaim the space with messages they're proud of.

Sure enough by Sunday someone had painted over the slurs in pink.

It's important to recognize that hateful messages don't represent the sentiments of any majority.

We cannot let something so reprehensible hurt the relationship between the two universities or Yow's legacy.

Our condolences go out to Yow's family and friends.