Baseball: UNC opens in new Bosh today

The smell of fresh paint still lingers throughout Boshamer Stadium.

Everything about the stadium screams brand spankin' new — from the 4100 green chairs to the freshly laid turf.

And today the new ‘Bosh' will take up its service as home field for the North Carolina baseball team as the Tar Heels open the 2009 season with a three-game series against VMI.

Sporting a No. 2 ranking to go with that shiny new stadium" UNC coach Mike Fox can barely stand still for excitement.

""I've walked in here every day — more than once — since around Oct. 2" Fox said. I've watched every bolt every seat being put in here" and I still can't believe it.""

Fox has reason to be excited" as do the fans who show up every day just to watch his team practice.

The Tar Heels return two of the best players in college baseball: right-handed pitcher Alex White and first baseman Dustin Ackley.

White a projected top-10 pick in next year's MLB Draft" heads up the best pitching staff in the nation. Four pitchers on the current roster were selected to All-America teams last year.

""I think we have a really talented group of guys" shortstop Ryan Graepel said. The pitching staff's incredible" as always.""

UNC rode its strong pitching all the way to the College World Series and a 54-14 record last year.

Though the rotation figures to be a strength for the Tar Heels" their lineup has a few question marks.

Five to be exact. The greater half of North Carolina's lineup from last year is gone with the entire outfield lost as well as legendary clutch hitter Chad Flack who finished his career as UNC's all-time leader in hits.

All told UNC will have to replace 266 runs" 253 RBI and 422 hits.

""I think it's going to come down to our bats" Graepel said. If we have guys that can step up and swing the bats this year" we can have a really successful season.""

Ackley and All-America second-baseman Kyle Seager will need some help" and Graepel will be one of the first players that UNC looks to for run support.

After winning a starting job at shortstop late last season Graepel finished with a .253 average and got stronger behind the plate in the postseason.

Mark Fleury will also come into a starting role for the first time" taking over at catcher after Tim Federowicz departed for the MLB draft.

Likely to be thrown into the mix is freshman Levi Michael. Michael could play second base or outfield.

""Levi's been all over the field"" Fox said. He's got some versatility to him. If we played tomorrow he'd play second base.""

ATTEND THE GAMES
Time:
1 p.m. today; 3 p.m. Saturday; 3 p.m. Sunday
Location: Boshamer Stadium
Info: www.tarheelblue.com

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.