Two Sundays ago a bomb hoax frightened us all especially those of you on the scene or evacuated from nearby buildings. Fortunately it was just that — a hoax — and it didn't pose real danger to us. But it heightened the importance of being prepared and of communicating in an emergency and it showed us some ways to improve how we let you know about developing events.

Our goal is to keep all of you safe. So please pay attention to this semester's test of our emergency warning system today.

If you're outside on or near campus between noon and 1 p.m. listen for the sirens. We sound the sirens only in the event of an armed and dangerous person a major hazardous materials incident a tornado sighting — or a test. Our sirens are our best quickest way to inform you that you need to get inside and take cover immediately. Sirens communicate instantly while it takes 10 to 20 minutes for a text message to be delivered to the 20000+ people now signed up for text alerts.

Anytime the sirens sound though we will always send a text message and update alertcarolina.unc.edu. When the emergency is under control and it's safe to resume normal activities the sirens will sound a second time with an all-clear message and an all-clear text will be sent.

These tests are important. Each time we test the system we learn how to improve it. After the first test in 2007 we installed a fifth siren on the campus's northern edge. Last fall's test helped improve text message delivery times. No doubt today's test will pinpoint ways to enhance the system.

Our Emergency Warning Committee constantly evaluates how we handle things and how we can improve. The Feb. 15 bomb threat did not meet our criteria for sounding the sirens. We did use an informational text message alertcarolina.unc.edu and campus TVs to provide information about the bomb threat but our timing was not fast enough. We know that and it has led to new protocols for improving communications.

While we made some changes that will allow us to get information out faster next time let me talk about the balance between how people want us to communicate and the realities we face.

We all want immediate information but safety has to be our primary concern. Public safety officers in the field have to take whatever action necessary to respond to the situation and protect people whom they believe are directly at risk. Undoubtedly communicating what's going on to the campus at large is important but protecting people is more important.

Also students on the scene will always know that an incident is under way — and faster than campus administration. It takes time for public safety authorities to respond to an emergency report conduct an investigation determine whether there is a threat and communicate that to the Emergency Warning Committee.

So with the exception of the three scenarios in which the sirens sound and communications begin immediately our official notifications will almost always be slower than personal text messages phone calls and face-to-face conversations started by those on the scene. That's the reality.

Campus safety is one of the most important conversations that our community can have together and your feedback has been helpful. Please know that just as you're listening closely to the sirens we're listening closely to you.

Wednesday:
Isabella Archer will analyze whether Black History Month should be
eliminated in a post-racial society.