Endorsements: Make it Staffiera Williams

If you're looking for innovative service projects and a better variety of social events next year" vote for Meggie Staffiera and Sebastian Williams for senior class officers.

Staffiera and Williams want to provide more original service projects for seniors instead of focusing solely on a senior Habitat for Humanity project.

They want to organize weekly after-school programs at low-income Chapel Hill schools to teach children about environmental awareness and preservation. They also plan to organize a ""Poverty Awareness Week" senior care volunteer trips and art beautification initiatives.

And when Staffiera and Williams say they love parties" they mean it.

In addition to the bar nights, tailgates and formals the senior class is already accustomed to, Staffiera and Williams want to plan a senior talent show in Memorial Hall that will raise money for the Senior Campaign, a fundraising initiative led by the class officers.

And they've got the organizational experience to make their ideas a reality.

Staffiera has been involved in student government since her first year, and Williams is vice president of his fraternity, Delta Sigma Phi.

This team is prepared. They have a plan to create four distinct committees that streamline their service and social initiatives.

And they have pledged to keep all their plans accessible via a senior class Web site.

Staffiera and Williams have what it takes to do this job right.

Why not Nichols, Chen-Xu

Tim Nichols and Tina Chen-Xu have experience. And their clever slogan We're dynamite!"" certainly reflects the two charming personalities.

They said they define the position as a ""connector."" And they are right.

But Nichols and Chen-Xu are focusing on the wrong things.

They emphasize strengthening alumni connections and improving University Career Services — initiatives that aren't really in line with the job.

And Nichols and Chen-Xu didn't present enough innovative social and philanthropic ideas to add to the already established bar nights and Habitat for Humanity projects.

While they both have experience in student government" that's not all it takes to be senior class president.

It takes creativity and an ability to relate to the entire senior class and they're not there.

So vote on Student Central today for Staffiera and Williams for senior class president.