Two years for reps: N.C. representatives should serve for only two years to allow for fresh ideas

North Carolinians deserve the right to have their voices heard regularly by the state.

But some North Carolina representatives think that their terms should be extended from two years to four years.

This would erode the ability of North Carolina citizens to have their opinions expressed.

The North Carolina House is currently considering a bill that would place a referendum on next election's ballot that would allow voters the choice to extend representatives' terms from two years to four.

Proponents of the bill argue that because of the current two-year term imposed on representatives much of their second year in office is spent campaigning.

This may be true but extending representatives' terms in office prevents new faces and new ideas from entering the General Assembly.

And we certainly need fresh ideas and faces in state government.

The beauty of short terms for representatives is the ability for voters to have a more immediate impact on the makeup of the legislature.

A lot can change in four years and North Carolinians should not be stuck with the same representative during those four years.

So perhaps instead of focusing on relieving the pressure of campaigning and raising money every two years these representatives should be more concerned about actually representing the constituents who put them in office.

This bill would only serve the interests of the legislatures not of North Carolinian voters.

Legislators want to stay in power for as long as possible and this is simply one way to help ensure that they do.

If this bill passes the ultimate decision will be in the voters' hands during the next election as a referendum.

But these legislators should know better.