The eighth loss of the season for the North Carolina wrestling team might carry the most substance moving toward the ACC Tournament.

The Tar Heels fell 24-15 to No. 4 Nebraska on Saturday night in the Smith Center in a match that was closer than the score indicated.

Despite the loss it was a successful senior night individually for Justin Dobies and Vincent Ramirez who both recorded wins in their final home match.

Sophomore Nick Stabile and junior Ben Fiacco also won with Stabile picking up North Carolina's lone pin of the night.

Coach C.D. Mock said the match was a true test of his team's readiness for the postseason" and he was happy with his team's performance.

""We wrestled our tails off"" Mock said. I'm really proud of the guys.""

UNC's 133-pound starter" Mike Rappo was 0.3 pound overweight and had to forfeit his position" which gave Nebraska an easy six points.

""That's a nine-point swing" because he beats that kid" Mock said of the forfeit.

We know that kid well. Mike (Rappo) has beaten guys that have beaten him this year.""

Had Rappo made weight and beaten Nebraska's Matt Vacanti" the score would have been 18-18. It potentially could have propelled UNC to a win — assuming the following matches went the same way.

Dobies North Carolina's heavyweight" defeated a top-20 ranked opponent in a 3-2 decision that he hopes to build off of in the weeks to come.

""I controlled the entire match and felt good out there" Dobies said.

I'm going to build off that in practice these next few weeks and just prepare myself" mentally and physically.""

So too" will Ramirez.

At the 141-pound weight class" the Durham native recorded the first victory of the day for UNC with a 10-3 decision. He used two near falls and takedowns to secure the win.

The Tar Heels have two Division II opponents to wrestle next week before the ACC Tournament. Mock plans on using those matches to rest up some of his starters while fine-tuning the team for the tournament.

""Ending on this note — in a home match with senior night— is a great way to kick off the next three weeks of training for the ACCs" Mock said.

The team will use the performance against Nebraska as a measuring stick while it moves toward the postseason.

We're on-track" Dobies said. I have full faith and confidence in my entire team that we can go out there and get it done.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.