An honorable windfall: Honor Court applications are up this year reinforcing students' commitment

One of the core principles of the University is a strong commitment to the Honor Code. This commitment was reaffirmed this year when 161 students applied to sit on the Honor Court next year.

The large number of applications is a powerful reminder of just how seriously students take the Honor Court and all the responsibilities that come with it. Almost 60 more students applied for the 35 available positions than last year.

The Honor Court is completely composed of students — as it should be.

Students self-adjudicate during cases of potential Honor Code violations. We don't rely on administrators to enforce it.

The only way for such an arrangement to be sustainable is for students to actively seek out membership on the Court as many have done this year.

It is also crucial that the court be a fair representation of the student body in order to be an effective institution.

Honor Court Chairwoman Caroline Schneider cited the importance of the court drawing from a diverse base of students — not just from the pre-law majors. We agree.

Students appearing before members of the Honor Court deserve to be judged by a true cross-section of their peers

With applications increasing every year this goal can become a reality.

The Honor Code has its roots in conduct codes stretching back to the enrollment of Hinton James at UNC in 1795.

The University has given us an important responsibility as students to hold each other accountable.

It's clear that students have stepped up this year and we hope the trend continues. It can only make the court more effective and fair.