Ellington's efforts extend beyond offense defense

BBallMar24
Wayne Ellington scored a team-high 23 points Saturday against LSU and helped lead the team?s defensive efforts in the second half.

Wayne Ellington's 23 points tied the team high against LSU.

His defense helped fuel North Carolina's frantic 17-2 run that put away the Tigers' squad.

But after UNC's 84-70 win that set up Friday's date with Gonzaga in the Sweet 16" coach Roy Williams singled out one play where Ellington's involvement could have been overlooked.

""My favorite play of the game was Danny (Green) missed the 3 — and that wasn't my favorite part — but Danny missed the 3" and the ball went far out to the corner Wayne chased it down and knocked it back to Danny" Williams said.

Green then converted on his second long-range attempt and put UNC up 70-63 with 6:30 to play.

That was just one example of the many times Ellington provided the lift UNC needed to defeat LSU.

While others struggled to score in the second half, Ellington was one of two Tar Heels to reach double figures, dropping 12 of his 23 in the second period.

I just try to make something happen — make a play" Ellington said of his crunch-time play.

It's not really a bucket or anything like that it's just making a play. You know down the stretch you've got to step up" and someone has to step up and make a play.""

30th win sets new mark

UNC's win against LSU didn't just send the squad to the South Regionals in Memphis — it was the Tar Heels' third consecutive season with 30 or more wins.

That marks the first time in North Carolina history that the team has eclipsed the 30-win mark in three consecutive years.

UNC went 31-7 and lost to Georgetown in the Elite 8 in 2006-07. Last season"" the Tar Heels lost to Kansas in the Final Four and ended the year with a record of 36-3. This year's squad currently sits at 30-4.

Said Green of the mark:

""Definitely a lot more fun" winning games. But that's the reason we came here. You know" we came here to win games and to play in big games like this.

""But we're not satisfied"" we still have more to go. We're going to achieve more.""

Weekend a letdown for ACC

All spring players and coaches throughout the conference have spoken about the talent in the ACC.

They said that it's the best conference in America and that it's home to some of the best teams.

Well" the first and second rounds of the NCAA Tournament seem to have squashed that popular notion.

The ACC went 3-4 in the first round and fields just two teams in the Sweet 16. Not a particularly impressive feat given the seven ACC teams that began the tournament.

Fourth-seeded Wake Forest fifth-seeded Florida State seventh-seeded Clemson and seventh-seeded Boston College were upset victims in the first round. The Demon Deacons claimed the distinction of highest-seeded squad to lose in the first two days.

Compare that to the performances of the Big East (five teams in the Sweet 16) and Big 12 (three teams in the Sweet 16) and it's clear that ACC has fallen short of expectations.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.