Energy company conserves: Program provides incentives for energy efficiency

This spring Charlotte-based Piedmont Natural Gas will implement a conservation program recently approved by the N.C. Utilities Commission that will save energy and money for the communities it serves.

By doing so the energy company is showing its commitment to the rapidly changing energy industry and its understanding of the nation's poor economic climate.

Local and global communities will have to reassess the way they deal with energy and this company is moving in the right direction.

People who are already customers of Piedmont Natural Gas are eligible to apply for this financial assistance.

The program is divided into three subprograms: a residential low-income energy efficiency program a commercial nonprofit energy efficiency and an equipment rebate program.

All of these programs will assist a wide variety of customers who otherwise would be unable to make their homes and businesses more energy efficient.

The residential low-income energy efficiency program will provide financial assistance for low-income residential customers to make their homes more energy efficient.

It will pay for low-cost weatherization measures like sealing major air leaks insulation upgrades and installing general heat waste measures and will cost about $225000 annually.

The commercial nonprofit energy efficiency program will provide similar weatherization measures for nonprofit organizations in North Carolina totaling $150000 annually.

The equipment rebate program will offer rebates to replace existing natural gas equipment with approved high efficiency water and space heating natural gas equipment and will cost about $900000 annually.

The average total annual cost of the program will be about $1275000.

While this program will be paid for by customers it is well worth the added cost.

Too much money is poured into wasted energy every year and spending a little money now to save a lot of money and energy later is a prudent move.

This program is coming to the right communities at the right time providing energy efficiency improvements to Piedmont Natural Gas customers who need it most.