With North Carolina's No. 1 2 and 3 receivers packing up and heading to the NFL this offseason the questions surrounding UNC's receiving corps have been pressing.

In North Carolina's Spring Showcase on Saturday the new Tar Heel wideouts showed just how dangerous they can be.

The highlight of the day came from sophomore Dwight Jones' 46-yard diving completion from quarterback T.J. Yates that carried him to the 1-yard line and Jones finished with three catches for 61 yards to lead the receivers.

Twelve different players recorded at least one catch from UNC's trio of quarterbacks — Yates" Mike Paulus and Braden Hanson — who combined for a 23-of-30 showing for 202 yards and a score.

""We are going to have to press this receiving corps the rest of this spring" and all throughout training camp to make sure they can come in there and make critical catches that are going to keep drives alive or score touchdowns" UNC coach Butch Davis told tarheelblue.com.

We kind of got spoiled the last two years with three kids that we played with.""

The departure of Hakeem Nicks" Brooks Foster and Brandon Tate — the Tar Heels' leading receivers in recent years — has been in the back of the coaching staff's minds for weeks.

But the new crop showed that in time they could fill some pretty big shoes.

Freshman Joshua Adams matched Jones' total with three catches of his own for 20 yards. Running back Jamal Womble also managed three grabs" and redshirt freshman Todd Harrelson picked up a 5-yard touchdown grab from redshirt freshman quarterback Hanson.

""We probably couldn't have asked for (today) to go much better"" Davis said. Scrimmages in the spring are great chances for your football team to learn. …

""You get a chance to see what they actually know and how they can go out there and play.""

Womble" a redshirt freshman led the UNC rushing game with 50 yards on seven carries and he was backed by Shaun Draughn and Ryan Houston" who combined for the first-team rush.

""We were looking eagerly as to the quality of level Jamal Womble could bring depth to the running back position"" said Davis, who said he wants to play all three.

He ran very physical.  He's got the ability to make some people miss in the hole" which we saw today" and he can catch the ball.""

Draughn finished with eight yards and a score.

Some defensive notes:

- Sophomore Herman Davidson" who moved this offseason from safety to linebacker led the team with six tackles.

- Senior defensive end E.J. Wilson posted two sacks.

- Da'Norris Searcy and Melvin Williams started at safety.

- Cornerback Kendric Burney did not start due to a strained hamstring and was replaced by sophomore LeCount Fantroy.

UNC has four remaining practices this spring and will complete its spring workouts April 4.