M. Basketball: Notes from the ACC Tournament

bball
Ed Davis who played an ACC season-high 23 minutes in Saturday?s loss to Florida State is becoming a reliable force inside for the Tar Heels.

ATLANTA — In watching all of the quarterfinals semifinals and finals of the ACC tournament this weekend here are a few observations that stuck about the Tar Heels and the rest of the conference:

- Though he might not play much the rest of this year North Carolina freshman point guard Larry Drew II showed flashes of excellent court vision and has a real developing connection with freshman forward Ed Davis.

For the weekend Drew had seven assists and just two turnovers — not bad for a freshman filling in for ACC Player of the Year Ty Lawson.

- Davis played more minutes in the weekend's tournament than his season average and his 23 against Florida State were the most since a Nov. 30 game against UNC-Asheville.

He remained a force inside for the Tar Heels totalling 13 rebounds and three blocks in the two games.

- Though Drew's and Davis' play were bright spots for UNC Danny Green struggled in the tournament. Against Virginia Tech he went 2-for-13 and against FSU 1-for-12.

By the Florida State game Green was even missing dunks and wide-open layups — it just wasn't his day (or weekend) in the Georgia Dome.

- Tyler Hansbrough had a chance to tie J.J. Redick's ACC scoring record in dramatic fashion Saturday. With time winding down and the Tar Heels needing a bucket against FSU to pull ahead FSU's Derwin Kitchen slapped the ball out of Hansbrough's hands in the post.

Had Hansbrough finished the play with a basket it would have tied Redick's record. As it stands now Hansbrough needs just two points to tie the all-time ACC scoring record and three to break it.

It shouldn't take long for that to happen in UNC's first NCAA game.

- Florida State's Toney Douglas is playing like an All-America right now despite his Seminoles bowing out in the finals. Douglas had 25 27 and 28 points in three games.

There isn't a weak part of his game. He can hit floaters; he's got range from deep; and he can drive and finish or dish to teammates.

He's a really impressive player and when combined with Florida State's overall length and athleticism he makes FSU a team that no one wants to play in the tournament.

- Duke's Gerald Henderson is another guy who's playing exceedingly well right now. All stats aside his reverse dunk on a baseline drive against Boston College was the highlight of the tournament.

- Watch out for Maryland in the NCAA tournament. The Terrapins are playing their best basketball under Gary Williams right now and they've got all kinds of scoring options all over the floor such as Greivis Vasquez Eric Hayes and Landon Milbourne. Hayes scored 11 points in the final two minutes of the Terps' loss to Duke.

- Wake Forest looked disoriented in its quarterfinal loss to Maryland. It's obvious the Deacons have a stockpile of talented players and athletes all over the floor but they don't always work as a cohesive unit.

This Wake Forest team looks a lot like the Memphis teams of the past few years. Granted those Memphis teams perennially made deep NCAA tournament runs so that might not be a bad thing.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.