M. Basketball: One for the books

hans
Less than five minutes into North Carolina?s first-round NCAA game against Radford on Thursday senior Tyler Hansbrough scored his third point of the game to clench a new all-time ACC career scoring record.

MEN'S BASKETBALL
Radford - 58
UNC - 101

FOLLOW THE LSU GAME
Time: TBA Saturday
TV/Radio: CBS" local channel 5/WRDU 106.1 FM; WCHL 1360 AM
Info: www.tarheelblue.com

GREENSBORO — Coming into No. 1-seed North Carolina's NCAA opener with lowly 16-seed Radford" Tyler Hansbrough needed just three points to become the ACC's all-time leading scorer.

Hansbrough made sure that the record — one he spent all season inching closer to — was decided about as quickly as the game a 101-58 thrashing.

With 16:23 to play in the first half Hansbrough caught the ball underneath the basket.

He took one dribble careened off Radford's Joey Lynch-Flohr and drained his trademark shotput jumper to tie J.J. Redick's scoring record.

One minute later Hansbrough drew a shooting foul and stepped to the line. Swish — his foul shot didn't even touch the rim.

Just like that" the ACC had a new scoring leader.

""It means a lot" Hansbrough said of the record. I look back and think of all the players that I've watched in the ACC. All of those and for me to be on top of all the scorers in that league" it's special. It's an honor.""

When Hansbrough left the court minutes after passing the record" it was to a still-standing ovation.

All told Hansbrough's 22 points weren't out of the ordinary" but they were yet another example of the senior forward's unparalleled consistency.

""It's tough to be as consistent as he is"" night in and night out."" Wayne Ellington said. ""You basically know he's going to give you 20"" or maybe 10 every game.""

When told that Hansbrough broke the record on a free throw after the game"" Danny Green chuckled.

""It doesn't shock me" Green said. I'm happy for him. Congratulations" it's a big thing.""

Most of Hansbrough's points came over" around and through Radford's hulking center Artsiom Parakhouski.

While Parakhouski lived up to his billing by recording a double-double (10 points 10 rebounds) this was Hansbrough's show from the start.

The big No. 50 also led UNC at the foul line. His 12-for-12 performance was a game-high and as a whole the Tar Heels racked up 20 points on free throws.

Hansbrough even kicked in on defense" as his four steals were a game-high.

Hansbrough's performance even overshadowed that of Ellington. Ellington had 25 points on 11-of-16 shooting and stuffed the stat sheet with eight rebounds and three assists to boot.

""I got out there and got into the groove" Ellington said. Kind of got some rhythm going" so I knew I was playing really well.""

Green registered his first double-double in 55 games Thursday with 15 points and 10 rebounds"" recovering from an ACC Tournament where he shot 3-for-25.

""I feel a lot better" Green said. It still wasn't my best game but it was a better game. I got to get into a rhythm out there do some things" get to the glass.""

UNC advances to play 8-seed LSU" who beat Butler earlier Thursday.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.