Physical play spells defeat for Tar Heels

Wobask
Despite combining for only 11 fouls in the first half" the physical play between the Tar Heels and Boilermakers defined the game from the onset.

CHATTANOOGA Tenn. — North Carolina usually has a lightening-fast style of play thanks to its trademark breakneck pace.

But Monday's second-round NCAA loss to Purdue will be remembered more for the thunderous blows taken on both ends of the court.

Despite low foul totals until the game's final few minutes there was no shortage of bumps" bruises or floor burns — the majority of which came in the lane.

""It's going to be physical" UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell said.

When you get in the NCAA that's how it is. You can't get frustrated when you get fouled and it isn't called. I tried to prepare them for it" but I do think they got frustrated.""

In the first half"" there were only 11 combined fouls called — six on UNC and five on Purdue.

""It was really difficult" especially trying to keep our composure UNC junior Jessica Breland said.

I was trying to calm my teammates down from being frustrated with the referees" because we can't really control that.""

The battling in the paint continued into the second half.

But with the battle came early whistles" and senior Iman McFarland picked up her fourth foul within seconds of the start" soon followed by freshman Chay Shegog's third less than two minutes into the half.

""The first half" it was very physical … and we went to the foul line one time Hatchell said.

Then we started the second half and I was like ‘Man" we can't even move.' … We couldn't even breathe.""

Playing through the foul trouble" the Tar Heels consistently competed on the boards but still struggled with the style all night.

North Carolina grabbed 21 offensive rebounds leading to 17 second-chance points. But the Tar Heels left several second- third- and even fourth-chance opportunities off the score board.

After the game" Hatchell seemed bewildered by the differences between the stat sheet and the feel of the game.

""We did get 17 second-chance points" she said.

But we weren't turning those (offensive rebounds) into points or foul shots" either one.""

Once in a while" UNC posts were able to power through Purdue defenders in the paint" but those instances — such as when Shegog scored two straight buckets by taking it right to the Boilermakers midway through the second half — were too few and too far between.

""Chay has had spells like that this year"" Hatchell said. She did that against Courtney Paris when we beat Oklahoma.

""She is young"" and conditioning-wise she needs to be in better shape than she is. But she's going to get better this summer.""

Conversely" Purdue's Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton led a highly effective attack in the paint" scoring 18 points on an impressive 6-of-9 shooting.

Wisdom-Hylton and her starting teammates in the front court shot a sizzling 14-of-22 for the game.

""Lindsay is a very special young lady because she's the most humble human being that I think anyone has ever been around" Purdue coach Sharon Versyp said.

She has an inner self-confidence" but it's all about her teammates.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.