Stop layoff secrecy: University officials need to be more transparent about layoffs and budget cuts

When it comes to the future of University employees the administration must be more transparent.

Officials have failed to release information about the at least 18 employees who have been laid off so far.

University officials refused to say which departments laid off employees or when — or even what their salaries had been.

Adding to the culture of uncertainty when asked about future layoffs University officials could not comment on how many layoffs will occur in the future or when these layoffs will come.

Many employees fall under the protection of the State Personnel Act which mandates guidelines for the hiring and firing of all state employees.

The act requires the investigation of all other alternatives before making employment cuts. It also requires a 30-day written notice of employment termination.

But not all University employees have this protection. Many working for the University could be — and perhaps have been — subject to immediate employment termination without notice.

In fact officials could neither confirm nor deny whether layoffs of employees not protected by the State Personnel Act have occurred since July 1 2008.

The University will continue to have difficulty making these estimates until the state has a better picture of how much tax revenue to anticipate.

But in a time of financial duress it is not unreasonable to expect a transparent process. The University community understands the need for layoffs as part of budget cuts. But the University needs to ensure adequate notice is given to its employees.

And as this is a public University the community at large has a right to know what is going on.