W. Basketball: Claytor's improved play key for win

2wbball323
North Carolina senior Heather Claytor" who started last year amassed a season-high 17 points on 6-for-8 shooting in 20 minutes against UCF.

CHATTANOOGA Tenn. — Losing minutes can be disappointing. For Heather Claytor a senior in the final stretch of her career it must feel even worse.

She was a key reserve in North Carolina's rotation earlier in the season but saw her playing time slump in the past 10 games. In the Tar Heels' last loss against Maryland she barely even got off the bench" playing less than a minute.

""You can't let that get to you"" Claytor said. You have to be ready because any time (coach Sylvia Hatchell) could have called my name.""

You don't have to take her word for it — Claytor was ready.

The guard went 6-for-8 from the floor and had a season-high 17 points Saturday against Central Florida. Claytor" a starter last season showed her characteristic touch from the 3-point line where she was 4-for-6.

Claytor is mostly a catch-and-shoot player but given 20 minutes against UCF she was able to create some of her own looks.

Once in the second half when a defender was too close she faked the shot darted forward and knocked down a long 2-pointer.

Later" she ran down a long fast-break pass from Italee Lucas and converted a 3-point play.

But — as the UCF coaching staff was well aware — the most important part of Claytor's game is her long-range shooting.

""We did know. We got caught a couple times … and she made us pay"" said Knights coach Joi Williams, who joked that her team did in fact have a scouting report for Claytor — it just didn't look as though they did.

For a player who hadn't hit a trey since Feb. 5, Claytor showed confidence with her stroke against UCF.

Her first shot from the corner took an ugly bounce off the backboard, but she hit a pair only a few minutes later that helped UNC get control of the game.

The first 3-pointer put the Tar Heels up 20-14.

Only a moment later, Claytor hit again from the top of the circle to stretch the lead to seven.

Both shots came on assists from Cetera DeGraffenreid, who found Claytor open often against a defense structured to stop UNC from scoring off the dribble.

Lots of people play us man-to-man where we don't get that many open looks"" Hatchell said.

That's one of the reasons why Heather played so much today. Against the zone we can reverse the ball and in transition we can penetrate and kick.""

Afterward" Claytor was humble about her big game. And like a veteran" she didn't acknowledge any frustration either.

""There will be games where certain people don't step up and other people have to"" Claytor said. And it could have been anybody else on our bench that came up big.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.