End smoking 'ban': Ordinance has only concentrated smoking in the worst possible place

Campus smoking restrictions have failed.

Smoking is now more conspicuous than before the ban and is spoiling the atmosphere of Polk Place where smokers congregate.

The current ban instated in January 2008 is the result of a statewide restriction prohibiting smoking within 100 feet of any state owned or leased building.

So any change on this issue has to come from the General Assembly not UNC.

The law might be more effective in other parts of the state but at UNC it's led to the concentration of cigarette smoke in one of the most beautiful and populated locations on campus — near the flagpole on Polk Place one of the few locations on campus 100 feet from any building.

Students can no longer work in or enjoy Polk Place like they used to.

The policy has not accomplished its mandate of promoting a healthy working and learning environment.

While smokers are less prevalent in other locations on campus (though many still flout the ban entirely)" the constant cloud of smoke and dead grass in Polk Place negates any positive change.

Our statewide elected officials need to know this is a policy that has only made both smokers and nonsmokers more frustrated while deteriorating the beauty of our campus.

So call or write your representative in the North Carolina legislature and let him or her know how you feel about on-campus smoking.

Contact your N.C. Senator or Representative:
Info: www.ncleg.net/GIS/RandR07/Home.html