Going global: New institution will help UNC become more global

UNC-Chapel Hill has stated its goal to become a global institution. That's why the creation of the UNC Global Research Institute is a much needed addition to our University.

While it boosts UNC's global recognition it also will serve the students and faculty of UNC and the people of North Carolina.

The institute will tackle global issues that are prevalent in an increasingly connected world.

Without a comprehensive understanding of these issues the students of UNC will be unable to compete in the increasingly globalized job market.

And the Global Research Institute will help them develop the necessary skills to do so.

The institute will be housed in the FedEx Global Education Center and its primary goal will be utilizing experienced minds to increase UNC's international presence.

And in the long term the institute will aim to attract international scholars.

Having the means to attract and support international scholars is a smart move for the University.

It will make for a more enriching experience for UNC students and faculty.

Along the way the institute will deal with overall themes of globalization and the economic crisis and it will work to connect those themes to the state of North Carolina.

Serving the state of North Carolina should be a top priority for the University and by making that commitment when planning for the Global Research Institute UNC is keeping its promise to the state.

And funding for the center will come from private sources so the it will not be drawing from public funds.

UNC should be a recognized and respected name across the globe and this institute will help make that happen.

The planning money and resources that go into this institute are worth it and in an increasingly connected globalized world the creation of the Global Research Institute makes sense.