Keep unlimited access: Time Warner Cable's new plan is unacceptable

Time Warner Cable has a new plan to increase the speed of its Internet service. But the plan might ultimately restrict the Internet's growth.

Time Warner Cable is testing a program in Greensboro that meters its customers' Internet usage. Customers select a plan based on monthly gigabytes downloads — similar to a cell phone plan that charges per minute.

But students in particular have become accustomed to unlimited Internet access for work and entertainment.

Time Warner is not just any private company. As a utility it often forms exclusive franchise agreements with towns and in those cases residents wouldn't have another option.

Melissa Buscher director of media relations for Time Warner Cable's Carolina region" said this new program is designed to ensure that ""speeds remain the way they are today.""

But metering cable-Internet service could actually curb Internet usage.

One of the plans Time Warner Cable offers is a 40-gigabyte-per-month package. According to Buscher" that amounts to 124 hours of standard video streaming or 3 million e-mails.

That seems like a lot. But the Internet is constantly evolving.

The Internet is quickly replacing many traditional forms of media. High definition movies and television shows are now readily available online.

Students also depend on the Internet for class materials research music newspapers and social networking.

And many essential computer features like word processing are moving online such as the introduction of Google Docs.

Our world is growing increasingly reliant on the Internet. It has become the predominant outlet for connection.

But advancement will prove difficult if consumers are worried about exceeding monthly gigabyte allotments.

Unlimited access to the Web made the Internet the primary medium for exchanging information.

Limiting access might stifle future advancements.

We expect our telecommunications providers to move us forward. Time Warner's plan will only hold us back.