M. Basketball: Tar Heels return to Detroit's Ford Field

When Roy Williams and the No. 1 North Carolina men's basketball team travels to Detroit for the Final Four they won't be going to a basketball arena.

Instead they'll be at Ford Field normally the home of the NFL's Detroit Lions.

The stadium — which seats three times as many people as the Smith Center — has been transformed into a basketball arena but it's also one that North Carolina should be familiar with.

Michigan State traditionally plays one game at Ford Field and this season" it was the Tar Heels who showed up and handed the Spartans a 98-63 drubbing back on Dec. 3.

""We played really well" Tyler Hansbrough said of the early-season matchup. I'm not sure if that was the court" or whatever.""

Now" five months later the Tar Heels will play on the same court — where they hope that they will play as dominantly as they did in December.

The setup at Ford Field is somewhat odd both because of the sheer size of the venue — 2003's game between MSU and Kentucky drew a world-record 78129 fans — and for its oddly-raised court a rare feature in basketball.

The raised court presents problems for coaches" as eye level for a sitting person is barely above the floor level.

""There was nothing unusual playing in a big building"" Williams said. What's unusual is sitting there and you're looking at people's shinbones.

""I could give a darn if we played on the moon" but when the court is above you" that is extremely different than anything I've ever encountered.""

While everything went right for UNC in their first game at Ford Field this season" that game wasn't the Final Four. But Williams doesn't expect his team to have any jitters" since just last year the Tar Heels reached the final weekend as well.

""The pageantry and extravaganza" the whole Final Four production I think being there before that experience … That does help Williams said. Again" you still have to play the game on the court.""

Players also noted that they might be helped by their familiarity with the court.

""It couldn't be a negative"" Deon Thompson said of the Tar Heels' previous experience with Ford Field. It can only be a positive.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.