Smoking compromise: Proposed bill is best option to preserve liberties while combating smoke

Finding common ground on regulating indoor smoking can be difficult.

But a bill recently passed in the N.C. House is a good compromise.

The bill bans smoking in restaurants stores and workplaces but exempts businesses that cater exclusively to patrons older than 18 such as bars and nightclubs.

The bill still needs to pass the N.C. Senate and be signed by Gov. Bev Perdue before it becomes law.

This bill is a good step forward to combat the harms associated with indoor second-hand smoke.

North Carolina follows the example of several other states and cities that have similar indoor smoking bans. New York City has one of the most stringent bans which includes bars and nightclubs.

But the fear that bars will lose too many patrons if they are prohibited from cigarette use is a legitimate one.

The negative impact from a complete ban on smoking at bars and restaurants could be significant.

So North Carolina is taking a prudent step by looking into a bill that takes into account both sides of the debate.

It will protect most business patrons especially minors from the health effects of second-hand smoke.

But it will also protect business employees who have no option but to be exposed to second-hand smoke throughout the workday.

And it will have no negative impact on the majority of bars and nightclubs.

The only disadvantaged groups from this bill would be nonsmokers who choose to go to bars and bar employees.

But neither of the two other options on the table — a complete indoor smoking ban or inaction on the indoor smoking problem — would yield better results than the current bill.

The proposed bill is the most reasonable regulation of second-hand smoke for North Carolina.

The N.C. Senate and Gov. Perdue should support this bill as well.