It wasn't until a national tournament on an Oklahoma club team that Danielle Spaulding realized she could be a top-tier pitcher.

There are certain moments when an athlete's skill and potential merge; this was hers.

Spaulding a junior spent the summer after her freshman year with her sister in Oklahoma playing club softball.

Although she had performed well as a UNC freshman in the ACC Tournament" it was at this tournament that she finally gained her confidence.

""I was very dominating on the mound"" Spaulding said. That was just it.""

Since that summer"" Spaulding's name has become synonymous with the word ""dominating."" Ironically" though she was recruited for her prowess at the plate.

Growing up in a family where a bat and glove are part of the genetic makeup" Spaulding quickly learned to love softball the way her mother and sister did and the way her father loved baseball.

""I started playing when I was 4" she said. My older sister played" and I wanted to be just like her.""

Spaulding spent her high school years racking up awards with her bat"" and UNC softball coach Donna Papa began recruiting her as a first baseman and hitter. Pitching was not her forte.

""I would consider myself just a mediocre pitcher when I was in club ball"" Spaulding said. I was decent.""

But UNC assistant coach Beverly Smith saw Spaulding pitch and first witnessed the potential she had.

She wasn't commanding the mound yet"" but the tools were there.

""I wasn't coming here to be a pitcher" but once (the UNC staff) saw me pitch I was determined to prove myself Spaulding said. From there" things just started coming together.""

Spaulding began her UNC career in 2007. Moving from the club level to the collegiate level was a difficult adjustment" and Spaulding struggled especially due to an elbow injury that occurred during the previous summer.

It wasn't until the latter part of her 2007 season that she began to shine ending her freshman campaign pitching well in the ACC Tournament and with her club team.

One year later she boasted a 16-3 record as a pitcher threw 208 strikeouts and still maintained the batting reputation that brought her to UNC. She was the eighth All-America in school history and was named ACC Player of the Year.

With the accolades building Spaulding was primed for a special junior year.

Now arguably the most dominant pitcher in college softball Spaulding is on track to add to her accomplishments.

She currently holds a 14.5 strikeout per seven innings ratio the third-highest for a season in the history of D-I softball. This season" she has fanned 299 batters in 144 innings while maintaining a 0.88 ERA.

""That's big" Papa said. It speaks for her a lot" especially since she didn't throw a lot as a freshman.""

Spaulding" who wasn't even aware of her strikeout per seven innings ratio said she has other" more pressing goals for herself and the team.

""To win a national championship" that would be my ultimate goal" Spaulding said.

I think we have the talent with the girls here.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.