SOFTBALL
Virginia - 3
UNC - 8

Virginia - 0
UNC - 6

In what is becoming a recurrent storyline for the softball team North Carolina's dynamic pitching duo locked down its opponent once again Saturday afternoon.

The No. 15 North Carolina softball team swept UVa. with the help of two complete games from starting pitchers Danielle Spaulding and Lisa Norris.

The tandem of Spaulding and Norris strung together two impressive wins only allowing five hits combined" to push UNC's record to 37-7 and 12-2 in the ACC.

""Both of them (Spaulding and Norris) are No. 1 pitchers anywhere" coach Donna Papa said. When they're on the mound" you know that they are going to do a good job against the hitters.""

In the first game" Spaulding struck out 18 of 24 batters and allowed three runs on just two hits while driving in two runs of her own.

Spaulding a lefty had her control and velocity working for her" as she was hitting the outside corners and blowing the ball past the opponent for strikeouts.

UNC jumped out to a 5-0 lead and was able to solidify it with two back-to-back home runs from Ally Blake and Stephanie Murad in the fifth inning.

""The last week I haven't been on" and today I just felt a lot better" Spaulding said. I definitely had a lot more control over the ball today.""

The win improved Spaulding's record to 16-2 for the year.

After the initial 8-3 victory" the Tar Heels took the field for their second game this time headed by Norris.

UNC scored six runs through the first four innings" once again led by Blake and Murad who both tallied two RBIs.

""Murad and Blake" our freshman catcher both did a great job driving in runs" said Papa.

The Tar Heels ended up holding onto their 6-0 lead though the seventh inning for the team's second win.

Norris fanned 11 batters throughout the game and allowed only three hits in the second solid performance of the night from the Tar Heels pitching rotation.

Norris was able to pick and hit her targets, which proved to be key in the win.

My main focus every game is just hitting my spots" and making sure I spin the ball to the plate instead of just throwing it there" she said.

Papa reiterated the level of confidence and calmness the team gets when either Norris or Spaulding are on the mound, especially with a few runs on the scoreboard.

Norris had batters, including Virginia's Sarah Tacke — one of the top hitters in the nation — confused all game and had a terrific command of the ball to improve to 18-4.

Lisa — always" she is always a stud out on the mound Spaulding said. She did awesome" like always.""

Norris couples good off-speed pitches with an overpowering fastball which can keep hitters off-balance.

The Tar Heels fielded the ball very well and" with the wins extended the team's streak to 16 the longest all season.

Much of that success Papa said" is credited to her dynamic pitching duo.

""I'm so happy to have both of them"" Papa said. I feel like we're blessed with having one of the better pitching staffs in the country.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.