Speaking for victims

dinah
Jessica Edens (left) and Samantha Jonker co-chairwomen of women?s empowerment group Project Dinah support each other as they speak at the Take Back the Night event Thursday evening. The event featured the reading of anonymous stories of sexual violence.

The tone of Project Dinah's ""Take Back the Night"" rally — a night of open conversation about sexual and domestic violence — changed throughout the night Thursday from somber to inspirational.

""We want people to be inspired and empowered and get people active about ending sexual assault and domestic violence against women"" said Project Dinah co-chairwoman Jessica Edens.

Because of the weather, the annual event — which normally includes a rally on the steps of Wilson Library and a march across campus — adopted a more intimate setting in an upstairs room of the Student Union and drew a crowd of about 50 people.

It's a deeply moving experience"" co-chairwoman Christine Andrews said of the event.

Stars lined the wall, symbolizing rapes reported on UNC's campus.

According to the group, women are four times more likely to be raped on a college campus.

The night began with a relaxed atmosphere as attendants pinned on teal ribbons and made T-shirts protesting domestic abuse to display in the Union.

But the tone changed as keynote speaker Tanisha Bagley began her story of survival of domestic violence. Bagley stressed that not speaking out empowers abusers, and though her audience listened in rapt silence it was clear that her message hit home.

After escaping her brutally abusive marriage, Bagley wrote The Price of Love" a story of domestic violence and empowerment.

I do it because I'm here Bagley said of telling her story to audiences. If you live another day" you can get past it.""

Since her traumatic experience" Bagley has made a career of sharing her story with others. Proceeds from the novels go toward opening shelters for victims of abuse in North Carolina.

Following Bagley's speech Project Dinah members read anonymous testimonies of abuse as a part of reflection and healing.

The testimonies could be submitted in boxes around campus or posted on a special blog. Andrews lamented the need for the blog"  but she congratulated submitters for their courage and strength in sharing their stories.

Project Dinah is named after a biblical character who was raped but never mentioned again.

""Her name is symbolic of the silence"" said sophomore Amanda Curtiss.

The organization co-sponsored the event I Love Female Orgasm"" and has partnered with other organizations on campus to prevent domestic violence.

The event was supposed to be part of Women's Week" which took place last week but was rescheduled because of rain.