Because of the current economic crisis" this year's Springfest will have a more ""home-grown"" festival atmosphere.

The April 25 end-of-year bash will have free food" moonbounces and performances from Vinyl Records UNC artists Apollo Lake Inferior and Lafcadio" as well as other local groups.

""It's how the event was originally envisioned" as a festival" said event coordinator Alex Groneman.

Student government's spring music festival committee partnered with Students for the Carolina Way to make the event happen, but they had to jump financial hurdles.

While last year's Springfest boasted headliner Boyz II Men and cost more than $60,000, this year's production had to make due with much less — about $14,000. But despite the setbacks, coordinators remain optimistic.

We had to make something out of nothing"" said Emily Motley, another event coordinator.

Springfest depends on money apportioned from student government, the Carolina Union Activities Board and corporate sponsors. Coordinators cite the economy and budget cuts as the reason for sponsors' hesitancy to donate money.

Motley described recent Springfests as a resurrection"" of a Carolina tradition. The event was held for the first time in 2007 since it was banned in the 1990s because of unmanageable crowds and excessive alcohol use.

Former Student Body President Eve Carson made reinstating the event a major part of her platform"" and it was a huge success.

""Last year it was surreal how much everyone was supportive" Motley said. But this year the University has been taking huge cuts" and we felt it would be fiscally irresponsible to drop that kind of money on one event.""

Performer Andrew Rooney" better known as Apollo" said he doesn't mind the ""home grown"" atmosphere.

""It's a good opportunity to reach out to a diverse crowd"" Rooney said. He describes his music as East Coast educated hip-hop.""

""My goal is to have a balance between something that's entertaining and something that people take a message away from.""

Motley encourages students to bring blankets"" spend time with friends and enjoy the blue skies.

""I think it'll be a good snapshot in time to look back and say ‘that band performed at school before they made it big"""" Motley said. ""It speaks more of us as a University.""