Stellar professors: Congratulations on the accomplishments of professors; awards will help research

Congratulations on the accomplishments of several UNC professors; awards will help further research

The University's professors are active in the academic community and inside the classroom.

But finding funding for their research goals is always a top concern for faculty.

Last Wednesday five UNC professors were awarded prestigious fellowships by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation.

The professors are:

Thomas Campanella city and regional planning; Martin Doyle geography; Carl Ernst religious studies; Evelyne Huber political science; and John Stephens political science and European studies.

These awards should be celebrated by the University community not only as a great honor but as an opportunity to further the research of our excellent faculty.

The Guggenheim fellowships are awarded each year to scientists" artists and scholars in order to fund diverse research interests and goals of ""exceptional promise.""

Because we are primarily exposed to their in-class teaching" students might easily forget about UNC professors' additional prowess outside of the classroom.

The five UNC professors selected represent wide-ranging research interests from five different fields.

And the research projects themselves range from developing a history of American rivers to studying inequality in Latin America.

Winning awards is certainly not rare for UNC professors.

Our faculty is spectacular and is recognized often.

We're proud of our faculty and their research initiatives that help to further the University's excellent reputation for excellent academic research.