Tar Heels say Final farewell

bobby
Bobby Frasor made the trip to San Antonio for the 2008 Final Four but this year in Detroit will be his first chance to see the court in a semifinal.

There's been plenty of talk about how this North Carolina basketball team has been to the Final Four before and how its experience will help its players this time around.

But for one senior this weekend in Detroit will be a first in many ways.

In San Antonio last season" guard Bobby Frasor was forced to sit on the bench with his torn left ACL and watch as his team fell behind 28 points on its way to an 84-66 loss against Kansas.

""Something you worked so hard for and dream about as a kid — to see your teammates" your school out there playing while you're sitting in a suit on the bench is not what you dreamed of" he said Tuesday.

And it's not as though this year has been a breeze for Frasor. He has struggled to return to his old form after the injury and shot poorly for much of the season.

On top of that, for part of the year Frasor didn't know whether this would be his final season.

Frasor submitted an appeal to get a fifth year due to his injury last year, but he found out in mid-February that it had been denied by the NCAA.

It's almost a relief; you can just go out there and not worry about"" ‘Am I going to here next year?'"" he said. ""So now I'm just enjoying every moment.""

And things have been looking up for Frasor the last few weeks.

After Ty Lawson's toe injury at the end of the season" Frasor started two ACC Tournament games and the opener of the NCAA Tournament.

Playing an average of 18.5 minutes a game during UNC's four-game run to the Final Four he's shooting 83.3 percent from the field (5 for 6) and has knocked down all three 3-pointers he's taken — including two big ones in the game against Gonzaga.

After UNC's regional final win against Oklahoma" the locker room wasn't exactly shaking with celebration. But Frasor was quick to say that he was ""ecstatic"" that UNC was heading back.

""It's a huge relief. You dream of playing in a Final Four" and then your team is there but you're not playing. It's kind of like" ‘Am I going to get another shot at this?'"" he said Tuesday.

""So to be back playing" being a part of this team contributing in any way I can is just pretty special to me" and I'm going to cherish every moment.""

Tyler Hansbrough has been there the whole way"" from the moment the two were freshmen roommates and started on a surprisingly successful North Carolina team.

Now Frasor is once again playing serious minutes with his long-time teammate — and it comes during the most important time of the year.

""You know" I'm more happy for him than anything. He's had kind of a rough path here being injured for a couple years Hansbrough said.

And coming back strong and finishing strong I think that's the way to go out for him. I'm happy that he's out there" and he's really helping this team.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.