W. Tennis: Back-to-back

wotennis
Sanaz Marand" pictured last year defeated the No. 1 and No. 7 singles players in the country on consecutive days this weekend in UNC?s matchups against Georgia Tech and Clemson despite a recent slump.

WOMEN'S TENNIS
Georgia Tech - 5
UNC - 2

Clemson - 5
UNC - 2

Sanaz Marand's junior year of tennis hadn't exactly been going according to plan.

After posting a 23-1 record in dual match play for North Carolina last year Marand's numbers dropped. At 15-7 this season" she was in danger of missing the NCAA individual tournament after her singles ranking dropped from as No. 8 last season to a current No. 61 ranking.

And she couldn't figure out what had happened.

""I was struggling with my confidence" and I just kept worrying about every point every time I would lose Marand said. When we were gone one weekend for some reason I couldn't fall asleep so I was just thinking about everything just like" ‘What is going on?'""

Coach Brian Kalbas wasn't blind to Marand's struggles. He saw her battle through difficult defeats and become frustrated at her lack of success compared to a season ago"" and he stepped in to mentally refocus her for the rest of the season.

""She's always been holding onto the past: ‘I'm not playing very well"' or ‘I used to be like this"'"" Kalbas said. ""All that stuff in the past is irrelevant. I think two or three weeks ago we talked about" ‘Hey this is a fresh start. We've got some big ACC matches at home" and you're going to be playing some great players.'""

Cue this weekend's matches against ACC powers No. 7 Georgia Tech and No. 12 Clemson.

In her best performances of the season" Marand took down the No. 1 and No. 7 singles players in the country on consecutive days and she also coupled with Sophie Grabinski to register wins against the No. 8 and No. 31 doubles teams.

Her domination of No. 7 Irina Falconi of Georgia Tech in straight sets 6-1 6-1 was a match that proved to be child's play for Marand but toppling the nation's No. 1 proved to be a far more daunting task.

Her opponent Ani Mijacika of Clemson had given Marand's dual match record last season its only blemish and the two split sets that began this year's match mirrored what happened when the two met last season. In that match Marand took a commanding 5-0 lead in the third set but Mijacika stormed back to win 7-6.

Marand quickly seized a 4-1 lead in this one but Mijacika narrowed the gap to 4-3 evoking memories of last year's collapse. But Marand made sure to keep her mental focus" pausing between points to concentrate on the task at hand.

""Just focusing on every point and not letting the mistakes get to me" just brushing it off and focusing on the next point and just keep fighting she said. I had to be in it mentally every point because if I had a little slip she could take over because she's pretty strong" as well.""

Two games later" Marand skipped to the net with a smile and a shout when Mijacika's last backhand sailed into the net clinching the win for Marand at 6-3 in the final set.

Marand was all smiles for the rest of play" and it only took a few words to express the turnaround from a few weeks ago.

""I'm really happy"" she said, and then had to pause as she couldn't help but smile and laugh for several seconds. Really happy.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.