W. Tennis: Women's tennis falls to Blue Devils in singles matches

After four hours and 10 minutes of tennis Sophie Grabinski simply bent over — resting her head and body weight on her racket.

The defeated expression came after the UNC women's tennis player watched her backhand shot sail into the net — the final point in her singles loss.  The play clinched a 4-3 victory for No. 9 Duke in a marathon match against No. 18 North Carolina.

But Grabinski didn't position herself that way only out of frustration; she also did it to hold herself up. The UNC junior's calves had begun to cramp during the third set of her 2-6 6-2 1-6 defeat" and she noticeably limped on the court between points.

During the final set she even received attention on her calves from a trainer after she had trouble serving.

""She's coming back from a week of having the flu" and she's weak and needs to get more nutrients in her fellow player Sanaz Marand said. Coming back and playing this opponent you're going to be out there a long time" and I think that's what did it.""

Grabinski's cramps couldn't have come at a worse point in the match for the Tar Heels. Duke's Jessi Robinson had just defeated UNC's Laura Reichert at No. 6 singles to even the match at 3-3.

All eyes in the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center turned to the outcome of the match between Grabinski and the Blue Devils' Reka Zsilinszka.

Grabinski seemed to have the momentum after dominating the second set. She put herself in better position for slams and winners"" but the combination of Zsilinszka's adjustments in the third set and calf cramps proved too much for her.

""She just wore Sophie down" said coach Brian Kalbas. The girl just gets every ball back. She's one that's just going to make you win it" and I think Sophie physically and maybe part mentally wore down and started making more errors.""

Grabinski's cramps considerably worsened when she sat down after the match" and she had to go to the hospital to receive fluids through an IV bag. Kalbas said he expects her to recover quickly after she receives fluids and rest.

In the loss UNC (14-7 4-3 in the ACC) again struggled against top-tier competition. In matches against teams ranked in the ITA Top 10" North Carolina fell to 1-6.

""At this point of the season there are really no moral victories" Kalbas said. I'm really disappointed because I think it was there for us and we had opportunities and chances. To beat a good team like that when your chances are there" you've got to take them.""

UNC put a scare into the Blue Devils with a quick start — sweeping the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead.

The team of Grabinski and Marand" ranked No. 4 in the country led the way with a dominating 8-4 victory and the Tar Heels have now won the doubles point in 19 out of 21 dual matches this season.

But the Tar Heels simply couldn't muster enough wins in singles to pull off the upset" as only Marand and Austin Smith could claim victories in a tough loss.

""It hurts" but I'm just happy to see we're right in it with these top teams" she said. We just have to believe in ourselves that we can do it.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.