Welcome new Congress: Thanks to newly inducted leaders for service and for pledge for transparency

Thanks to the newly inducted leaders for their service and especially for their pledge for transparency

There are many admirable ways to give back to the University but let's pause for a moment to recognize those newly inducted into the 91st Student Congress.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate to be part of serving your fellow students.

These representatives will meet as a body biweekly for the next school year and in committees during the alternate weeks to write consider and vote on legislation that affects students.

This year Speaker Joe Levin-Manning the only returning undergraduate representative has raised the bar by calling for more transparency — a top priority for him.

Students and other new members of Congress should take note of this commendable goal. By taking their jobs seriously and promoting transparency within Congress student representatives are on their way to a productive and efficient year.

A more transparent Congress will also make the legislative process more legitimate and hopefully increase student participation.

The more that students understand their Congress — particularly the proceedings related to the allocation of fees to student groups — the more Congress' decisions will serve and reflect the student body.

If you've never been to a Student Congress meeting before consider attending and learning more about the leaders who have been elected to represent you.

Or look up your representative so that you can shoot him or her an e-mail by visiting congress.unc.edu/wiki/index.php/Current_Members.

Transparency is a two-way street. So is service.

After thanking these leaders for their service the student body in general has an obligation to stay informed stay aware and maintain contact with Congress representatives.

We look forward to a year of transparent dialogue.