RALEIGH — With two outs in the bottom of the fourth inning North Carolina pitcher Lisa Norris was facing a full count against Florida State's Kaleigh Rafter. 

With one runner on base Rafter hit her first pitch foul.  The second pitch she hit even better but it was foul again. 

The third time Rafter stepped up to the plate she launched the ball to left field for a two-run homer.

Those two runs would prove enough for a 4-1 Seminole victory. The loss left the UNC softball team short of its season-long goal of winning the ACC Championship.

More disappointing than the loss was the manner in which it occurred. A plethora of runners were left on base and missed opportunities categorized the day.

After falling behind in the fourth inning the team held Fla. State scoreless in the fifth and started the sixth with a comeback in mind. 

With runners on first and second and no outs Florida State opted to switch pitchers  — from the ACC pitcher of the year Sarah Hamilton to reliever Terese Gober.

The switch was a failed tactic as Gober walked Danielle Spaulding and Brittany McKinney to cut the lead in half — the Tar Heels' first and only run.  The Seminoles quickly brought back Hamilton" who retired the next three batters to stave off disaster and halt the UNC comeback.

""I mean we were ready to come back and score a few runs" and we got it going" center fielder Breanna Brown said. We just never quite finished it.""

In total"" the Tar Heels left eight runners on base and suffered two catastrophic errors in the bottom of the sixth inning.  The miscues resulted in two Fla. State runs and put the game out of reach.

""We didn't get the hit we needed" Brown said.  I think one swing of the bat" and it could have been another story.""

But one of the reasons that it didn't go North Carolina's way was the superb pitching of Hamilton — who until the sixth inning was practically untouchable.  Up to that point"" Hamilton had a no-hitter going and had the North Carolina batting order mystified by her combination of fastballs and off-speed pitches.

""She got pitcher of the year" and she got it for a reason" junior Danielle Spaulding said.  There's no joke about that. She places the ball really well. Her changeup is awesome. She pitched a great game.""

And just when it looked like the Tar Heels had figured her out"" Hamilton came back to deny UNC its bid for a championship.

""I mean" we wanted this really bad and we weren't going to give up Spaulding said.  And I mean" I don't feel like we did give up.""

North Carolina will have an opportunity for redemption starting today. The NCAA chose the Tar Heels as a regional host.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu